|19° C||19° C||23° C|
|3° C||3° C||7° C|
Known as “Castel Grumello” because of the rock on which it is constructed, the castle was built between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 14th century from the Como’s De Piro family. The family was sided with the “ghibellini” and therefore it was a rival of the “guelfi” lords of Sondrio, the Capitanei. The castle occupies a strategic position on a promontory which dominates the town of Sondrio and a large section of the valley. We find ourselves facing a ‘gemina’ structure, that is to say a small fortress surrounded by walls and composed by two buildings whose “ghibellini” dovetail battlements are still preserved today. The Western building, as revealed by the arched entrance, the spacious openings and the ruins of a room with chimney, most probably had a residential function, even if provided with a tower with loopholes where the bodyguards used to hide. The building to the East, built with blocks of squared rocks, had a military function and included a high square sight tower and numerous rooms distributed on several levels. Like most of the other fortified structures in the valley, Castel Grumello was demolished in 1526 from the Grigioni. However, from what has emerged during the ongoing archaeological diggings, the castle must have been one of the largest within the whole province and even much larger than believed until now.
March-September: 10.00-18.00 every day except on working Mondays
October-middle Decembre and February: 10.00-17.00 except on working Mondays
To support the FAI activities a contribution of 2 € for adults and 1 € for children is recommended (4-12 years old)
Sondrio Valmalenco Tourist Office
Tel. +39 0342 451150 - email@example.com