Six circular routes from Sondrio that wind through vineyards, featuring epic views and cultural must-sees
into the terraced vineyards above Sondrio with your bike, call in at a local
producer, and admire the views of Valtellina. Ask anyone and you’ll discover
that Wine Bike Tours have become a must-do activity if you’re a fan of both
sport and wine.
Six routes of varying difficulties depart from the capital of the province, Sondrio, each presenting their own delights: from pancake flat rides for families to ones that explore the Orobic Alps side of the valley, weaving through picturesque nature reserves, as well as stunning rides on the Rhaetian Alps mountainside, along narrow tracks in the vineyards, coasting along the terraces, and past a number of wine producers. For the complete Valtellina experience, make time to ride the 114 km of the Sentiero Valtellina, a point A to point B ride that lets you explore the whole valley at your leisure.
So, when’s the best time of year for a Wine Bike Tour? Easy: Autumn. Throughout October and the early part of November, the grapes on the steep terraces need to be harvested, so the vineyards are a hive of activity. What’s more, the colours are changing with the seasons, and everything is doused in fiery reds, yellows and oranges.
Here is the proposal of six routes with departure/ arrival in Sondrio:
1. SONDRIO - PARCO BARTESAGHI - SONDRIO: 11 km | completely flat | ideal for families with children
2. SONDRIO - TRIASSO - CASTIONE ANDEVENNO - SONDRIO: 16.5 km | on the slope of the Rhaetian Alps | beautiful panoramic views of the Adda river and the Valtellina
3. SONDRIO - ALBOSAGGIA - BOSCO DEI BORDIGHI - SONDRIO: 13 km | on the slopes of the orobic slope | passage in a natural reserve
4. SONDRIO - PONCHIERA - MONTAGNA IN VALTELLINA - POGGIRIDENTI - SONDRIO: 19 km | on the slope of the Rhaetian Alps | many sites of cultural interest
5. SONDRIO - TRIASSO - TRIANGIA - S. ANNA - SONDRIO: 19.5 km | in the slopes of the Rhaetian Alps | passage in characteristic hamlets of Sondrio
6. SONDRIO - PONTE IN VALTELLINA - CHIURO - SONDRIO: 26 km | on the slope of the Rhaetian Alps | presence of numerous wineries | beautiful villages
Easily reachable also by train (2 hours from Milan), Sondrio is the provincial capital and an ideal destination for bike tours that touch some of the most important wineries in Valtellina. This small city, which can also be easily visited on foot, will surprise you with its tourist offer: from the cultural one, with museums and historic buildings, as well as the delightful historic district of Scarpatetti, to the sports one, linked to trekking, cycling, rafting and much more, up to the food and wine richness and scenic beauty.
Taking these wine bike tours will allow you to discover not only Sondrio city but also some of its characteristic hamlets, as well as enchanting villages with fascinating historic centers, first of all Ponte in Valtellina and Chiuro.
Many of the wine bike tours proposed above intersect with the Strada del Vino, a panoramic road surrounded by terraces, which winds from Ardenno to Tirano, touching numerous wineries, restaurants, farmhouses, shops and accommodation facilities that characterize the Middle and Lower Valtellina.