The villa, the ancient residence of the
noble Visconti Venosta family, has a central body with a portico and a loggia
and two wings that enclose the courtyard.
The left wing is the oldest part of the building, and was rebuilt in the late 1600s, after it was destroyed in course of the rebellion in Valtellina. The right wing is the result of a renovation commissioned at the end of the 19th century by the Marchese Emilio, a distinguished member of the family who was also Minister of Foreign Affairs. Around the palace there is a wide park which was created in the late 1800s, and which is public nowadays.
Inside the villa there are rooms rich in history, antique furniture and precious objects of art. It is possible, for example, to admire the doors of an altarpiece painted in tempera by the artist from Grosio Cipriano Valorsa (1597), a 16th century oil painting of the School of Ferrara depicting the Redeemer on the Sepulchre and other interesting examples of the artistic collection of the Marchese.
There is also a rich library and the family archive.
After the donation of the building to the Municipality of Grosio, which took place in 1982 by the Marchesa Margherita Pallavicino Mossi, the building became a museum.