|9° C||10° C||8° C|
|-4° C||-4° C||-2° C|
San Giorgio church in Grosio embodies one of the most characteristic and interesting work of art in Valtellina. It dates back to the thirteenth century and was first mentioned in a document dating back to 1252. It stands in the historic centre near a small square with a traditional fountain.
The building has one hall with a rectangular presbytery and semicircular apse. It has a simple façade, a gable-ended ridge roof and two decorative side panels of plaster with a pattern of small arches under the eaves. Both the rose window and the portal which has a lunette decorated with a fresco depicting the Deposition by Andrea De Passeris (beginning of the sixteenth century) are characterised by a simple design. Inside interesting frescos by Giovanni da Sondalo, by Valorsa and other local artists from Ticino, Brescia and the Como-Milan area decorate the walls. The juxtaposition of these lends the church a particular appeal. The presbytery is covered by a cross-shaped vault frescoed with images of four wise men from the Western church, painted by Andrea De Passeris: Ambrogio, Agostino, Gerolamo and Gregorio Magno. Andrea De Passeris also painted the fresco of Christ the Pantocrator surrounded by the four evangelists which can be found in the base of the apse and a fresco of Christ with the twelve apostles in the same apse. A true treasure chest of art works.
Tirano Tourist Office
Tel. +39 0342 706066 - firstname.lastname@example.org